Vanilla Crescent Cookies
Delicious Czech Christmas Cookies
- Measuring Cups
- Kitchen Food Scale
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup Crushed Almonds
- 1 cup Softened Unsalted Butter
- 2 Egg Yolks
- Lemon Peel (zest)
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 3 packages Vanilla Sugar
- Set Oven to 350 °F.
- Mix Dry Ingredients including lemon peel (zest) in mixing bowl.
- Dump dry ingredients onto a clean countertop.
- Push dry ingredients together to form a volcano-shaped pile with 'well' on top. Pour egg yolks into 'well'.
- Work egg yolks into dry ingredients with hands.
- Add softened butter a little at a time and continue to work the dough with hands until a dough ball is formed. **If the dough is too dry add 1 whole egg**.
- Wrap the dough ball in plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator to chill for about 1/2 hour **dough can also be left in the fridge overnight **
- Remove chilled dough from the refrigerator if the dough was left overnight allow it to sit at room temperature for about a half-hour to soften it slightly.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Lightly flour the clean countertop.
- Cut dough ball in half. Setting one half of dough aside to use later.
- Pinch a small amount of dough from the ball and roll on the floured countertop to form a small marble-sized ball. Work the dough to form a crescent moon-shaped cookie.
- Place on lined cookie sheet. **One cookie sheets holds between 35-45 cookies depending upon the size of each cookie**
- Place cookie sheet on the middle rack of the oven and bake until edges of cookies turn a light brown colour (approximately 12 minutes). If cookies are not brown add another 2 – 3 minutes of baking time.
- In a shallow pan add 1 cup of powdered sugar and 3 packs of vanilla sugar.
- Remove cookies from the oven.
- While cookies are still warm add a few cookies at a time to the sugar in the shallow pan turning to coat.
- Place coated cookies on your favorite Christmas platter and enjoy!!